Brazil on Tour! (english version)
Brazil
on Tour!
“You
arrived less than 24 hours ago, and look at the mess you already
made!” Svenyboy told us laughing.
It was early morning. He had just arrived from Croatia,
and he had no clue what a bad story it really was. The sheets of
Raymond’s bed were all dirty with blood.
“Welcome
to Brazil man!” Raymond answered him.
“He
cut his finger open, that bean, I think it’s broken. It’s best if
we go to a hospital” I said.
“What
the hell happened last night?’ Svenyboy was eager to know.
“The
question is: How will we go on stage tomorrow night?” I wanted to
know.
“No….
The real question is: What the
hell will we tell Peter Frame?” Raymond asked, and Raymond was
almost always right.
The great Peter Frame was already waiting for us in the
theater that evening of July in Brazil, in Sao Paolo, thirty-one
degrees. We really did have to make up a good excuse that would hold
up. We couldn’t tell the great Peter Frame what had really
happened, he would’ve lost his mind and would’ve sent us all back
to wash dishes.
I said it by the way, that it wasn’t at all a good
idea, to run away from the bar without paying the bill. I said it,
damn it, that it wasn’t a good idea…
But they, the others of the company, who like me had
arrived on the first flight to Sao Paolo, had done it anyway. The
genius idea was Todd’s, it was obviously him and his donkey
brain! How can you think, you who comes from the deserted valleys of
Belgium, to pull one on the Brazilians? They who have the sun, the
palm trees, the coconuts, and the women in bikinis?
First,
I saw Todd give it a go, then I saw Raymond running, then all the
other ones behind them. And after them, I saw a bunch of Brazilian
waiters, all with their white shirts, and their angry faces. I
had gone out to smoke with Miriam. Even
Miriam, when she saw all those people running, thought well to follow
them.
Everyone was running, and I instead,
lit up another cigarette, turned my heels and walked calmly, I went
the other way. Once I went back to the hotel and saw the others, I
told them:
“Rule
number one: Never run!”
Anyway, poor Raymond had nothing to do with it, he had
just been dragged by that donkey of Todd, while he, genuine as he
was, would have never stolen anything in his life. However, Raymond
was the first one they got to, and he fell, and cut his finger pretty
badly.
“So?”
said poor Raymond.
“So
I’ll take you to the hospital. That’s it.”
I
pulled him up and we went to the hospital. I waited in the courtyard
for some time. There were plenty of strange plants that I had never
seen before. Huge trees, full of leaves, of branches and vines, one
could even hang from them. There, in Sao Paolo, they had the jungle
in the city. Not bad. And the tourists, all whitened by their
sunscreen, enjoyed themselves while strolling around, taking pictures
of everything, in the streets, the bars, and then they went to the
favelas to photograph the poor. “That’s right, this is a poor
child from the favela.” They would tell their friends back home.
There’s
no way I’m going in the favelas! I’m not like that! The Pope goes
there, millions of European beans, as well as the cops to shoot the
children. No one needs a presumptuous actor to wander there as well.
Raymond came out of the hospital with his arm in a cast
that went up to his elbow.
“What
now?”
We went back to the hotel. It was a bad story. We were
back in Raymond’s and Svenyboy’s room.
I started talking:
“This
is the plan Svenyboy: You’ll fill in for Raymond.”
“Me?”
“There
is no alternative. We have to find a solution or Peter Frame will
kick us out.”
“But
what do I have to do with it? I arrived this morning!”
“Why
don’t you do it Silvano?”
“I’m
an actor not a dancer!”
“Who
cares!”
The
truth is that nobody wanted to do that scene because it was crazy:
you had to stop a woman from getting onto the stage, and she would’ve
had to do everything she could to get up there. It was a very
beautiful scene, very poetic, but the woman was Elisabeth DeKonigs…
I’ll explain you who Elisabeth DeKonigs
was another time.
We got to the SESC theater of San Paolo, in the Pinheiro
neighborhood, while the sun was beginning to set. It was still very
hot and sticky. Raymond, Svenyboy and I were sweaty and exhausted
from that long day.
“I’ll
go get some water, I’ll be right back, you go ahead.”
I went to get some water, but I didn’t come right
back. At the bar I met Mariana.
“Yes,
I’m an actor. My name is Silvano Brancusi. Tomorrow we’ll play in
a theater close by, if you want to, I can get you a ticket.” Bla
bla bla… I told her the same ol’ stories.
What really surprised me of Brazil, besides the plants,
was Mariana’s butt. I mean, plants like those and a butt like that,
I had never seen them before where I came from. But each Country has
its own, that’s how it is.
Anyway, Mariana was a singing teacher. She was my age or
a bit older, she was mixed race, had a smile with a bunch of straight
white teeth, and a small white spot right under her mouth. With
regards to her mouth, when I kissed her to say goodbye, she started
sucking my lips so hard, I mean so hard, that the next day they were
purple. They were dark purple like after a drunk summer night with a
good Morellino di Scansano on the beach. Every country has its own,
that’s how it is.
“I
have to go Mariana. I have rehearsals now, but I’ll finish early, I
promise, and we’ll see each other here. See you later!”
Ans so, a kiss here, a kiss there, I arrived late to
rehearsals. But it wasn’t my fault damn it!
“Here
is Silvano Brancusi who finally honors us with his presence on
stage.” Announced immediately the great Peter Frame as soon as he
saw me up there.
“Sorry
Peter, I went to get some water.”
But those lips were so good, I would’ve loved to leave
everyone there for a while and go back to the bar to Mariana.
“Silvano!
Have you heard the news?” I heard that small voice of a little
girl, I could never forget the soft voice of Elisabeth DeKonigs.
“Hi
Elisabeth!... What news?”
“Raymond
broke a finger. Poor guy….”
“Yup…
it sucks.”
“So,
do you know who will replace him?”
“Yes,
Sven…”
And in that moment, the great Peter Frame, with his
attitude of a cowboy, shouted:
“Brancusi,
tomorrow you will replace Raymond. Tonight you’ll stay in the
theater with DeKonigs to rehearse. C’mon son, get to work!”
And voilà, the typical luck of Silvano Brancusi. Ah! If
only I had gotten your number… goodbye Mariana!
Commenti
Posta un commento